Thursday, July 21, 2011

Making a Lake

some of The tools I used for this projct

Making a lake for your model railroad is a very fun project to do. It is not hard either.  The required tools are 
  •  Paint-Black, Brown
  • Arcrylic Gesso
  • ModPodge
  • Paint Brushes
  • Painters palette
  • Knifes
  • Hacksaw blade
  • File/needle files





On my layout I have 1½  Inch Foam boards as a base. I used the Sawblade to cut diagonaly to make it look like it is sloping.  I used the Knives and the files to change the texture. After I liked the way the the bank looked I took Inch DOW styrofoam boards and laid the side without lettering so it is facing up. THen I painted the slope and a 1 inch on the board brown.  I then painted the rest of the area that was not brown black.  I let this dry then painted a second coat of black on.  After this drys Put a thick area of Mod podge ontop of the black paint.

Here are the tools I used to make the Bank



Chiped paint

Applying Gesso

If the mod podge drys and there are areas of chiped paint under it there is a simple way to fix it. Spread a thick layer if arcrilyic gesso around on the areas that are chiped. Spread the gesso about 1 inch out from the area that is chiped. When you are spreading the gesso make sure you dab.  Once this drys spread a layer of black paint over that and coat with Mod Podge.
sasf

1 comment:

  1. So it's not really that hard to add lake on my train layouts...a lake will surely complement the scenery I've been thinking to create.

    ReplyDelete